2022-2023 Class Information
Sessions 1-4 Registration will open to the public Wednesday May 11th at 10am
Before registering, please read and understand our refund and discount policies.
2022-23 School Year Dates
|Sienna Ranch’s Nature Sages Teen Program is designed to deepen each student’s connection with nature while building an individual sense of self and purpose. Through hands-on creative projects we will build skills related to survival, nature connection, homesteading, and ancient arts. By fostering an awareness of the outside world, we will build connections to our inner experience through personal reflection and group activities. Nature Sages will have the opportunity to grow as leaders as they work together as a team. Hiking, team building activities, and animal interactions/care will be regular aspects of the program as well. Each session has a theme and all activities align with seasonal and ecological changes on the ranch and our surrounding natural landscape.
Nature Sages is open to all levels of experience. Whether you have grown up at Sienna Ranch or you are joining us for the very first time- everyone is welcome!
Full Day and Multi-Day options involve a fully immersive program with more exploration and more detailed curriculum.
Students in the program are:
|Trail Ramblers is our companion program to our Nature Programs that focuses on building confidence and independence through active hiking, team building games and activities, and animal interactions. This high energy class is designed for participants that need to burn off energy and get outside. Students will enjoy playing games, exploring the hills and trails of Sienna Ranch, and experiencing hands-on skills like shelter building and fire making. We will go out in all weather conditions. Since we will be spending a lot of time in Briones please come prepared and on time for this class.
Students in this program are:
Animal Apprentice Program 2022
AGES: 13-16 PRICE: $351 per session CLASS TIME: Sundays 10am-1pm Session 4: Sunday February 13th-March 13th and training day May 8th Session 5: Sunday March 27th-Sunday May 1st (No Class April 3rd) and Training day May 15th You are welcome to apply for both sessions!
Apprentices in this program complete classes that will combine hands-on practical animal care training as well as instruction in history, diets, enclosure setups, and care protocols for the animals we care for at Sienna Ranch including horses, goats, sheep, ducks, and chickens. After completing the training class, students will participate in a minimum of 2 weeks of onsite Apprenticeship for the Sienna Ranch Summer Camps.
Students will learn how to properly care for the variety of animals at the ranch by learning stall cleaning, nutrition, care, and behavior. Special focus will be on horse care including mucking, leading, grooming, and tacking
NOTE: Students must apply for the apprenticeship program. Apprentices from previous years do not need to apply and will be automatically given a spot. After completion of class and summer apprenticeship, students may be eligible for continuing in the 2021-2022 school year apprenticeship.
The Sienna Ranch Animal Care Apprenticeship Program is highly selective and an incredibly valuable learning experience. A strong commitment is required for this program. Apprentices will be required to attend all classes during the session, the one training day in May to prepare for summer, and a minimum of 2 summer camp sessions. Participants will report to the Animal Care Manager (ACM). This program is an opportunity for teens to further grow their animal care knowledge, leadership skills, and gain valuable work experience as a part of a team.
Requirements for the Class:
- Must be able to attend all classes with a minimum of 2 weeks’ commitment onsite for summer camp (May 30-August 12)
- Ages 13-16
- Comfortable around farm animals, including horses, goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, and cats
- Patience for animals and children
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
- An interest in learning new skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- After completion of this program, Apprentices will know:
- how to clean all of the animal stalls;
- lead, groom, and tack our horses;
- understand animal behavior and handling;
- learn about animal training;
- understand livestock animal nutrition and care;
- learn how to safely and independently work around our animals.
- The goal of this program is to train Apprentices for Summer Camp. During Summer Camp, Apprentices will prepare horses for riding—including grooming, leading, tacking, and untacking—water riding areas, and assist the riding instructor in the arena. When not working directly with the horse camp, apprentices will have the opportunity to interact with other ranch animals and assist the Animal Care Manager with specialty projects.
- Apprentices are expected to arrive on time and be prepared to fully participate in the class. Participants must have the maturity and comfort level to work independently and in a team environment, be comfortable working around children and farm animals, and possess the ability to problem solve. Maintaining a positive attitude and the ability to be flexible is imperative in this position.
- Apprentices should understand that animal care happens regardless of the weather conditions, so they should be prepared to work in a variety of weather (rain, heat, mud, etc.).
Summer Camp Apprentice Application
Apprentices in this program have fun while helping to mentor the next generation of Sienna Ranch students, and become an important part of the Sienna Ranch camp team.
Requirements for the Class:
- Complete application process and respond to all communications from Sienna Ranch before due dates
- Age 12 or older by March 25th
- Must be able to attend the 2 hour training day during the week of May 23-26 after 3pm. Exact day TBD.
- Comfortable interacting with our many Ranch animals
- Familiarity with Sienna Ranch layout, including locations of restrooms, garden, buckeye tree, Green Yurt, Front Office, etc (Not required but preferred)
- Excited about working with young students (PreK-KG and/or 1st-2nd grade)
- Ability to explain and lead age-appropriate games
- Patience, kindness, and flexibility
- Able to communicate clearly and confidently with Lead Instructors and other adults at Sienna Ranch
- Ability to participate independently and in a team environment
- Excited about spending time outside at the Ranch in all weather
- Valuable learning experience and mentorship with meaningful leadership opportunities
- An opportunity for Nature Program Apprentices to share their nature experiences and enthusiasm with younger kids
- An opportunity to learn by close-up observation of experienced instructors and their classes.
Apprentices are available for at least two weeks of Summer Camp.
- Summer Camp Dates
- Week 1 5/30-6/3
- Week 2 6/6-6/10
- Week 3 6/13-6/17
- Week 4 6/20-6/24
- Week 5 6/27-7/1
- Week 6 7/4-7/8
- Week 7 7/11-7/15
- Week 8 7/18-7/22
- Week 9 7/25-7/29
- Week 10 8/1-8/5
- Week 11 8/8-8/12
- Monday-Friday 8:45am-3:00pm